What is R Software?
Statistical software are tools that help in the arrangement, management, analysis, and interpretation of data. R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics. It compiles and runs on a wide variety of UNIX platforms, Windows and Mac OS. It helps in performing statistical operations using command lines and graphical user interfaces.
Why Do You Need it?
- Knowledge of R is mandatory for the MA Psychology course in University of Mumbai and its affiliated colleges (Mithibai and National College).
- Knowledge of statistical software can help you compute descriptive and inferential statistics in an efficient and accurate manner.
- Output can be saved and arranged into tables or pictorial representations.
- Allows for a wide range of statistical computations with a large amount of data.
- Essential tools for the modern researcher when analysing data from experiments, surveys, and so on, as well as in psychometrics and econometrics
How do we teach R Software?
The workshop provides participants with a hands-on experience in working with R. Relevant data sets, homework exercises, and practice problems will be used to ensure adequate skill training. Interpreting statistical analyses will be considered, to help participants not only to compute, but also to understand their computations
Resource Person: Indranil Rath, Algorithmic Trading Quant, Nomura
Indranil Rath develops algorithmic trading strategies, as part of Nomura's Algo Quants Team. He also holds an undergraduate degree in Statistics and a PG specialisation in Quantitative Economics. Apart from R language being his workhorse, Indranil has a working proficiency in Python, SPSS, and Geogebra.
Rupa Kalahasthi, Research Assistant, Monk® Prayogshala®
With experience in diverse clinical settings, Rupa is a practising psychologist since 2014. Her passion for research is reflected in her stint as a data analyst at a UK-based firm. She also holds the position of a Research Assistant at Monk® Prayogshala® where she contributes to writing research papers and conducting workshops.
A laptop with operating system up to or above Windows XP, Mac OS X, or Linux.If you cannot bring your laptop, Monk® Prayogshala® can provide one for an additional surcharge of Rs. 500/- for the duration of the workshop.
The workshop will be held at 4116, 4th Floor, Oberoi Garden Estates, C Wing, Off Saki Vihar Road, near Chandivali Studios, Powai, Mumbai – 400072.
Nearest stations: Kanjurmarg (Central); Andheri (Western); Saki Naka (Metro Station) Bus routes: 319, 335